This chicken broccoli casserole recipe is so easy that you can throw it together in just a few minutes when you’re tired after a long day. It’s also so versatile that you can leave off the bread crumb topping to make it low carb and more Dukan Diet friendly, and you can lower the fat content by using low fat cheese and soup.
My family absolutely loves French’s fried onions. They’re fabulous on casseroles, salads, soups or almost anything. My 10-year-old who ordinarily won’t touch onions likes to eat French’s fried onions by themselves like potato chips. However, you can choose to omit them from this casserole if you prefer.
- 1 bag (16 ounces) frozen broccoli, cooked
- 1 can (12.5 ounces) premium chunk white chicken breast
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 can (10.75 ounces) condensed cream of broccoli soup
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 slices of bread
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/3 cup French’s fried onions (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray a casserole dish with oil.
- Mix together the soup, salt, pepper and milk until well blended.
- Add the chicken and broccoli and combine.
- Pour the mixture into the casserole and sprinkle with cheddar cheese (feel free to add more than 1 cup if you love cheese).
- Crumb the bread slices, then mix with the melted butter.
- Spread the bread crumbs over the casserole, then add the French’s fried onions (if desired).
- Bake uncovered for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the toppings begin to brown.
When I make this recipe, I microwave the broccoli while I mix together the remaining casserole ingredients, then stir in the broccoli, spread the mixture into a greased casserole dish, add the bread crumbs and French’s fried onions and bake. I sometimes have leftovers to have for lunch the following day.
Hope you enjoy this recipe, and please comment below to let me know how you liked it!
Check out more of my Dukan Diet posts here.