Some stores still close for Thanksgiving, though, including retailers in the same family as another chain that plans to open on Turkey Day. Walmart stores, for example, will open their doors on Thanksgiving, while Sam’s Club stores will remain closed until early on Black Friday. Toys“R”Us stores will open on Thanksgiving in most markets, while Babies”R”Us stores won’t, except for the ones combined with a Toys”R”Us.
Here’s a list of major stores open on Thanksgiving to start their Black Friday deals, based on media reports, retailer Web sites and press releases, along with their opening times.
- Belk, Open Thanksgiving 6 p.m.
- Best Buy, Open Thanksgiving 5:00 p.m.
- Big Lots, Open Thanksgiving 7:00 a.m.
- BonTon, Open Thanksgiving 6 p.m.
- Boscovs, Open Thanksgiving 6 p.m. to 1 a.m.
- CVS Pharmacy, Open Thanksgiving, hours vary by location, 24-hour stores may be open all day
- Dollar General, Open Thanksgiving 7:00 a.m.
- Dollar Tree, Some Stores Open Thanksgiving 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- HH Gregg, Open Thanksgiving 4:00 p.m.
- JCPenney, Open Thanksgiving 5:00 p.m.
- K-Mart, Open Thanksgiving 6 a.m.
- Kohls, Open Thanksgiving 6 p.m.
- Macys, Open Thanksgiving 6 p.m.
- Meijer, Open Thanksgiving 6 a.m.
- Michaels, Open Thanksgiving 4 p.m.
- Office Depot/OfficeMax, Open Thanksgiving 6 p.m.
- Old Navy, Open Thanksgiving 4:00 p.m.
- Rite Aid, Open Thanksgiving 8:00 a.m.
- Sears, Open Thanksgiving 6 p.m.
- Sports Authority, Open Thanksgiving 6 p.m.
- Staples, Open Thanksgiving 6 p.m.
- Stein Mart, Open Thanksgiving 5 p.m.
- Target, Open Thanksgiving 6 p.m.
- Toys“R”Us, Open 5 p.m. Thanksgiving in most markets
- Walgreens, Open Thanksgiving 8:00 a.m., 24-hour stores may be open all day
- Walmart, Open Thanksgiving 6 p.m.
Some stores will opt to remain closed on Thanksgiving, including Marshalls and T.J. Maxx. “As in past years, T.J.Maxx and Marshalls stores will be closed on Thanksgiving so our associates can enjoy the holiday with family and friends,” Rebecca Leonard, spokesperson for T.J. Maxx and Marshalls, said in a press release.
Following is a list of major stores closed on Thanksgiving.
- A.C. Moore
- Ace Hardware
- Babies“R”Us (those that aren’t combined with a Toys”R”Us)
- Barnes and Noble
- Bed Bath and Beyond
- Burlington Coat Factory
- Crate and Barrel
- Home Depot
- Lowes Home Improvement
- Neiman Marcus
- Pier 1 Imports
- Saks Fifth Avenue
- Sam’s Club
- Sierra Trading Post
- True Value
Stores in some states can’t open on Thanksgiving. According to a Huffington Post article, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Maine have laws on the books making it illegal for large retailers to open on Thanksgiving. These “Blue Laws,” believed to date back to colonial times, also ban certain stores from opening on Christmas and sometimes Easter and other holidays. Blue Laws in southern states often prohibit selling alcohol on Sunday mornings. Rhode Island repealed its ban on Sunday alcohol sales recently, but kept its Thanksgiving holiday law.
Retailers in certain malls must open their doors on Thanksgiving or face fines. One longtime mall retailer said that while Thanksgiving hours are a fairly new phenomenon, malls have always required their tenants – large or small, both short-term and long-term – to remain open during mall operating hours. The requirements are written into each mall tenant’s contract. Therefore, some retailers may open their stores in malls which require it on Thanksgiving, while leaving the doors closed on their other locations.