If your family loves pasta but finds the normal pasta sauce recipes with plain ground beef or meatballs bland and boring, try this amazing new option. If you’re on the hunt for a low carb recipe, this delicious pasta sauce recipe stands on its own wonderfully with no pasta at all, simply topped with cheese.
I like to stock up on pasta and canned tomatoes when I can find good deals on them, like when Harris Teeter has them for “buy 2, get 3 free.” To get more veggies into my kids, I use Mueller’s Hidden Veggie pasta, which includes a serving of vegetables in every 4 ounce pasta serving, a blend of carrots, sweet corn and squash.
My girls don’t notice anything unusual about the hidden veggie pasta at all. They prefer to eat it without sauce, sprinkled with Parmesan or mozzarella cheese.
- 1 pound ground, hot Italian sausage (no casings or casings removed)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes OR tomato puree
- 1 tsp bottled minced garlic
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 box (16 ounces) pasta
- shredded Italian blend cheese (such as Kraft five-cheese Italian blend) OR grated Parmesan
- In a deep skillet over medium heat, cook and chop the ground Italian sausage until nicely browned. When it’s almost done, add the onion and cook until the onions are tender.
- Add the garlic, spices, red wine, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce and return to boil.
- Reduce heat to low or medium low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package instructions and drain.
- Serve the sauce over pasta, or by itself if you’re eating low carb, and sprinkle with cheese.
Refrigerate leftovers for lunch another day, or freeze in small portions.