If you’re looking for an easy to prepare work week meal, this meatball sub casserole recipe fits the bill nicely. If you’re on the Dukan Diet stage 1 or 2, you should eliminate the bread to make it a low carb recipe, or just avoid eating the bread and leave it for your family. For the shredded cheese, you can use any mozzarella or Italian blend. I use Velveeta shreds because they’re extremely low in fat and calories yet still taste good.
- 6 slices of whole grain white bread, toasted
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 lbs frozen, fully cooked turkey or beef meatballs, thawed
- 8 oz pkg Velveeta shreds, queso blanco or mozzarella
- 1 jar pasta sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9 x 12″ glass baking dish with oil and spread out the six slices of toasted bread in a single layer.
- Mix together the sour cream, mayo and spices. Spread this mixture over the toasted bread and then sprinkle with about 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese.
- Spread the thawed meatballs evenly over the cheese, then spread the pasta sauce evenly over the meatballs.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the meatballs and sauce.
- Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
- This dish was a hit with everyone in my family and kept well in the fridge to eat as leftovers for lunch on another day.