You’ve probably seen dozens of recipes for so-called weight loss soups over the years. Unfortunately, eating just soup for a long period of time is probably dangerous. You can, however, jump start a diet by replacing two meals a day with this delicious and healthy vegetable soup for maybe two to four days.
I wouldn’t do this for any longer than that. After a few days, eat the soup whenever you want, as part of a healthy and balanced diet, or anytime you want to start a diet with some quick weight loss. You can use more carrots and squash if you like a soup with less liquid.
This post may contain affiliate links; please read my disclosure here.
Magic Weight Loss Soup Recipe
- 2 14-ounce cans chicken broth (or 4 cups of water with 4 chicken bouillon cubes)
- 3 cups tomato juice or V-8 juice
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp bottled minced garlic
- 1 small zucchini, diced and peeled
- 1/2 pound frozen carrots, thawed
- 1/2 pound frozen yellow squash, thawed
- 1 10-ounce bag shredded cabbage for cole slaw
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
Spray a Dutch oven or chicken fryer pan with oil and sauté the onions until tender.
Add the garlic, carrots, squash, and zucchini and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer until the cabbage and other vegetables are tender, about 10 or 15 minutes.
This weight loss soup recipe makes a large batch, and it freezes wonderfully in quart-size zipper bags. Please consult your doctor before starting a weight loss plan.