This cheesy broccoli soup leaves out the potatoes while maintaining a nice texture and scrumptious taste. It makes a healthy and filling dinner with leftovers for lunch the next day. Leftovers also freeze well for weeks to come.
I adapted this recipe from broccoli soup my mom has made for years. I substituted cauliflower instead of potatoes to lower the carb count.
I generally prefer to use broccoli florets for this recipe, but you can also use chopped broccoli – whatever you like best. You can also make this recipe low fat by substituting low fat cheese such as Velveeta shreds. They have a benefit over standard low-fat cheese in that they melt very well.
This post may contain affiliate links; please read my disclosure here.
- 1 16 oz pkg frozen broccoli, cooked
- 1 16-oz bag frozen cauliflower, cooked and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 2 cups water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 to 1 tsp pepper or to taste
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Spray a large pot with oil and cook the onions until they’re tender.
- Add the carrots, water and bouillon cubes and cook until carrots are done, about 10-15 minutes.
- Shake the corn starch and milk. Add them to the pot and cook until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Add the chopped, cooked cauliflower and cooked broccoli.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, then add the cheese and cook until the cheese melts.
To figure out nutritional information for a recipe, you can visit Fitness Pal’s recipe calculator.
Get My Swipe File and Fix-It Worksheet!
Never again have to look up a company's tech support or customer support phone number or website. They're all in this comprehensive swipe file, along with a handy troubleshooting worksheet. Enter your email below for instant access.