Whether you need appetizers for your Super Bowl viewing or for any type of entertaining, try this absolutely delicious Buffalo sausage cheese dip courtesy of Jimmy Dean. If you need low carb appetizers, you can serve the dip with celery sticks. If not, serve it with pita chips.
The first time I made this, I didn’t have turkey crumbles on hand, so I used Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage patties instead. I fried and crumbled them in a skillet. I also had to use some Buffalo wing sauce I had on hand and feta cheese instead of blue cheese. I had no celery in the fridge and had to skip that, too. This versatile appetizer recipe turned out fantastic on my first try despite my liberal use of substitutions.
Light versions of sour cream and cream cheese also work well. The dish is probably so flexible in its ingredients because the sausage and hot sauce provide so much flavor already. I have tried other appetizer recipes for buffalo dip and didn’t find any of them nearly as tasty as this one.
You can whip up this dip recipe in about 15 or 20 minutes. You may want to buy enough ingredients for two batches because it’s going to go fast. I’m definitely making this dip the next time I need a potluck dish.
- 1 pkg. Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage Crumbles
- 1 pkg. (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed, softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup Louisiana brand hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- ½ cup (2 ounces) blue cheese crumbles
- Baked pita chips or celery sticks for dipping
- Heat and stir sausage crumbles in a large skillet over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until hot.
- Add cream cheese, sour cream and hot sauce.
- Cook and stir until cream cheese is melted and sauce is smooth.
- Stir in blue cheese and celery; heat 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Spoon into serving dish or chafing dish.
- Serve with chips and celery sticks.
Yield: 6 servings (about 2 tablespoons each)