I love Cooked Perfect meatballs, which you can pick up at BJ’s Wholesale Clubs and many grocery stores in their frozen meat sections. Frozen meatballs are extremely versatile, delicious in many ways other than with spaghetti.
It’s important to get the right meatballs, though, since I’ve found some frozen meatballs that taste awful. Start with the right meatballs, though, and you can conjure up a delightful meal such as Meatball Sub Casserole or the following slow cooker favorite, Crockpot Meatball Soup.
You probably already have most of the ingredients on hand for this recipe. I always keep a bag of Cooked Perfect meatballs in the freezer, usually a giant one from BJ’s. You can throw together this crockpot meatball soup in just a few minutes before you leave for work in the morning, throw in the peas and carrots when you get home, and you’ll have a yummy dinner ready soon.
- 1 bag (16 ounces) of frozen cooked Italian-style meatballs
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 bag (16 ounces) frozen peas and carrots
- Combine all ingredients except the frozen peas and carrots in your slow cooker and cook all day on low (9 to 11 hours).
- Add the frozen peas and carrots and cook on high for another 45 minutes or so, until they are cooked. To speed things along, you can microwave the peas and carrots separately and then dump them into the slow cooker and serve the soup immediately.
- If desired, sprinkle individual servings with a bit of grated Parmesan cheese and/or freshly ground black pepper.
Those who aren’t diet restricted may wish to add some crusty French bread to complete the meal. Refrigerate leftovers to have for lunch some day.