I adapted this delicious casserole from some others I found online to make it a Dukan Diet recipe. I’m not sure Dr. Dukan would approve of the bacon, but I’ve eaten it occasionally throughout my experience on the Dukan Diet and still had (and have maintained) successful weight loss.
I also use light cheese rather than fat-free, since the fat-free cheeses I’ve tried tend to taste like cardboard. I generally use Velveeta shreds because they’re very low in fat but also quite tasty. It also melts easily in recipes.
Ingredients (Cheese Sauce):
- 1/2 cup fat free or light sour cream
- 3 tbsp butter or light butter spread
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup shredded light cheddar cheese (such as Velveeta Shreds cheddar)
Ingredients (Cauliflower & Topping):
- 2 bags (16 ounces each) frozen cauliflower, cooked until soft, then drained
- 2/3 cup light grated cheddar cheese (such as Velveeta Shreds cheddar flavor)
- 5 slices cooked, crispy bacon, crumbled
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine all of the cheese sauce ingredients in a small, nonstick pot under medium heat and watch closely, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until the cheese and butter melt, then remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, crush the cooked, soft cauliflower with a potato masher. Combine with the cheese sauce when it’s finished.
- Spray a two-quart casserole lightly with oil.
- Pour the cauliflower and cheese sauce mixture into the casserole.
- Mix together the 2/3 cup cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon and dried parsley, then sprinkle evenly over the cauliflower. Feel free to go long on the cheese and bacon if you’re not diet restricted – you can hardly go wrong with more cheese and bacon.
- Bake for about 15 minutes. Leave slightly longer if you prefer the cheese to become more browned.
Bet you can’t stop at one serving! Keep leftovers in the fridge to heat them up for lunch some day soon.