Boxed.com looks to provide the warehouse club experience without an actual store and with no membership fees. The company hopes to draw customers who don’t live near a club, want to avoid dragging the kids to a massive store while fighting through big crowds and/or don’t want to fork over an annual fee. Does Boxed.com make the grade?
This post may contain affiliate links; please read my disclosure here.
Boxed.com Review of Product Selection
If you mainly shop warehouse clubs for household products and non-perishable groceries, Boxed.com probably has you covered. You’ll find toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning products, trash bags, food storage bags, laundry items and more. In addition, you can grab snacks such as chips and cookies, pet products, an array of organic foods and an impressive selection of other items you might find at Sam’s Club, BJ’s or Costco.
Boxed.com carries name brands like Nabisco, Lysol, Snuggle, Clorox, Downy, Similac, Pull-Ups, Johnson’s, Starbucks, French’s, Annie’s Organic, Carnation, Splenda and Green Mountain. Of course, you won’t find meats, cheeses, frozen foods, bread, produce or heavy items like cat litter. There’s no seafood or take-home pizza and very little in the way of juice boxes or other juice products. They do have a few odds and ends – non-grocery items – like golf balls and office supplies.
Boxed.com Review of Prices
It’s important to note that big sizes don’t always mean great deals. In my many years of shopping at warehouse clubs, I’ve found that there are certain items that are usually good deals and certain items that rarely cost less than I could get them at a grocery store on sale matched with a coupon.
Below, I compare some of the prices at Boxed.com with prices of the same items bought in-club at Sam’s Club. Keep in mind, though, that Sam’s Club also ships many of their items and even offers free shipping in some categories, such as baby diapers and wipes. Some items cost a few cents more shipped as opposed to purchased in a Sam’s Club store.
- Boxed.com – Carrington Farms Coconut Oil, 54 oz, $15.99
- Sam’s Club – Tresomega Nutrition Organic Refined Coconut Oil, 54 oz., $10.98
- Boxed.com – Charmin 30 Jumbo Rolls Club Pack, $22.39
- Sam’s Club – Charmin 30 Jumbo Rolls Club Pack, $19.98
- Boxed.com – Bounty Paper Towels, 12 “Super” Rolls, $17.99 (22-roll equivalent, 82 cents per single roll equivalent)
- Sam’s Club – Bounty Paper Towels, 12 “Huge” Rolls, $25.52 (30-roll equivalent, 85 cents per single roll equivalent)
- Boxed.com – Finish All-in-1 Powerball Dishwasher Detergent 110 Tabs, $15.49
- Sam’s Club – Finish Powerball Dishwasher Detergent 100 Tabs., $13.19
- Boxed.com – Honey Bunches of Oats Breakfast Cereal 48 oz., $7.49
- Sam’s Club – Honey Bunches of Oats Breakfast Cereal 48 oz., $5.98
- Boxed.com – Frito-Lay Classic Mix, Variety Pack, 54 x 1 oz. Bags $13.49
- Sam’s Club – Frito-Lay Flavor Mix, Variety Pack, 50 x 1 oz. Bags, $10.98
- Boxed.com – Pepperidge Farm Goldfish Cheddar Baked Snack Crackers (58 oz., 3 ct.), $8.79
- Sam’s Club – Pepperidge Farm Goldfish Cheddar Baked Snack Crackers (66 oz., 3 ct.), $10.23
- Boxed.com – Nutella Hazelnut Spread, 33.5 oz x 2 Jars, $12.99
- Sam’s Club – Nutella Hazelnut Spread, 35.3 oz. x 1 Jar, $6.95
- Boxed.com – Frontline Plus Flea Tick and Lice Control for Dogs 23-44 lbs., 6 Doses, $71.99 ($11.99 per dose)
- Sam’s Club – Frontline Plus Flea Tick and Lice Control for Dogs 23-44 lbs., 3 doses, $36.98 ($12.33 per dose)
- Boxed.com – Pampers Cruisers 78 Diapers – Size 7, $41.99
- Sam’s Club – Pampers Cruisers 78 Diapers – Size 7, $39.99 (free shipping)
- Boxed.com – Fancy Feast Cat Food 36 x 3 oz. – Seafood Variety Pack, $21.99
- Sam’s Club – Fancy Feast Cat Food 36 x 3 oz. – Seafood Variety Pack, $18.44
- Boxed.com – Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Blue Agave 36 oz. Bottle, $5.79
- Sam’s Club – BetterBody Organic Agave 2 x 23 oz. Bottles, $7.69
- Boxed.com – GoGo SqueeZ Organic Applesauce Variety Pack 3.2 oz, 20 Pouches, $10.69 (on sale) (53.4 cents per pouch)
- Sam’s Club – GoGo SqueeZ Organic Applesauce Variety Pack 3.2 oz., 16 Pouches, $7.98 (50 cents per pouch)
Boxed.com Shipping Charges
Boxed.com offers free UPS shipping on first orders totaling more than $29 and subsequent orders of more than $75. Otherwise, shipping runs $5.99 to $9.99.
Save $15 on Your First Order With This Boxed.com Coupon Code
You can try Boxed.com and save a hefty $15 off your first order. Just use Boxed.com coupon code 2QCYM during checkout. If your total after coupon comes to $29 or more, your initial order ships for free, too!
Boxed.com Review Verdict
Boxed.com offers tremendous convenience and prices that are pretty close to what you’d find at Sam’s Club or BJ’s. The big caveat is that, as with most online vendors, you’re limited to non-perishable grocery items. Generally, you get a huge quantity of product as well, so you’ll want to make sure you’ll be able to use it all up within a reasonable amount of time.
I shop at BJ’s approximately once a month, and most of what I buy there isn’t available at Boxed.com. What generally works out to a good deal for me are beef, chicken, bacon, sausage, certain frozen foods, produce, cheese and a few other items. Most of those miscellaneous items also aren’t available from Boxed.com. In addition, I regularly buy our vehicles’ tires and batteries at Sam’s Club because, time and again, they offer a better deal than anywhere else I’ve found.
My Boxed.com order shipped quickly, and they have a nice variety of items. They’re definitely worth checking out to see if their prices beat what you can find locally, especially if you don’t have a nearby Sam’s Club, BJ’s or Costco. Where my parents live, the nearest Sam’s Club is almost an hour’s drive, and there are no BJ’s or Costco stores within hundreds of miles. I live in a big city, where the closest BJ’s and Sam’s Club stores are within about 5 miles of my house.
It’s much easier to control spending when you shop online, since the site keeps a running tally of your total. Plus, you’re less likely to snatch and grab items on impulse or buy something because you were given a tasty sample of it in the store.
How About You?
Do you shop at warehouse clubs? What’s your favorite one – Sam’s Club, BJ’s or Costco?
If you decide to try Boxed.com, don’t forget to use the Boxed.com coupon code 2QCYM during checkout to save $15, and please comment below to let me know how you made out.
If you enjoyed this post, could you please click here to give it a G+1?
Don’t miss all the latest tips, giveaways, reviews, deals and more. Subscribe to weekly email updates here!